[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
firemath.info • View topic - Fonts difference

Fonts difference

Topics related to Firemath and to this Website.
Forum rules
Entries must be in English and should be related to Firemath or to this Website.
We reserve the right re remove entries.

Fonts difference

Postby Stonk » Sun Oct 23, 2011 15:17 UTC

I have installed the latest STIX Fonts (v1.0.0), but MathML I generate (either through FireMath or manually) just doesn't look as pretty as the examples on your website.

The website is serving its own fonts, rather than using the ones I installed (fair enough - it ensures everyone can view the site). The served fonts have comparable names, although are in a different format such as ".OEF", and the rendered results are really quite different. Better, I would say!

So ...

(1) Where did you get these OEF fonts? They are not in the STIX Fonts distribution.

(2) If you generated them by converting STIX Fonts, were they based on an older version of STIX Fonts? And if so, why would STIX Fonts look worse in the current version! Or have they been tweaked a bit to look better?

Confused!
Stonk

Re: Fonts difference

Postby firemath » Mon Oct 24, 2011 14:36 UTC

The font files were generated using STIX fonts 1.0.0 with the service at .

Having the STIX fonts installed properly, the equations rendered in Firemath should look identical to what you see at the web site. Which Firefox version do you use on which OS?
firemath
Site Admin

Postby Stonk » Mon Oct 24, 2011 20:56 UTC

I've got Firefox 7.0.1 on Windows XP.

It's difficult to describe the differences, but I'll try! Rendering MathML in a local HTML file with the STIX Fonts v1.0.0 in my Fonts directory gives result that appear "thicker", and have less well-defined lines, with slightly ragged edges. The output I see on your website (with identical MathML source) is thinner and leaner, and has better spacing.

If I uninstall my STIX Fonts and point my MathML to use your web-fonts instead ... then the rendering is now like on your website.

There is one thing on your website that doesn't render properly for me, though: the "3" in the cube root doesn't come out.

Thanks for your help!
Stonk

Postby Stonk » Mon Oct 24, 2011 22:00 UTC

I have just run the official STIX Fonts v1.0.0 through Font Squirrel.

The resulting output fonts render as per your website, i.e., dramatically differently from the input fonts! I don't think that Font Squirrel can be changing the fonts that much, so there must be a difference in how Firefox interprets different font file formats (at least, between OTF and the TTF that I tried).

The "3" of the cube root doesn't render locally either, so that might be a bug in Font Squirrel. Which is a bit annoying, because it's the only thing stopping me using the Font Squirrel TTFs!
Stonk

Return to Questions and Feedback